I’ve talked a lot on this blog about creative visualization. Maybe you have begun trying this on your own. Or perhaps you are not sure where to begin.
In this post I have some additional insights into how creative visualization works and how you can use it as a tool to build the future you desire for yourself and your family. I will share some insights both from Scripture and from some of the techniques that I have been learning.
Using creative visualization to create your future involves having clear goals that you desire to achieve, being able to imagine these outcomes vividly, believing that are achievable, and fully expecting them to happen the way you envision them.
A Divine Example
I mean no sacrilege when I say that the Scriptures seem to present God as the ideal example of what I am talking about. What God thinks in his mind happens. Of course this may seem obvious, but God himself declares that this is how He gets things done. There are many scriptures that I could cite that indicate that this is the case, but I will share just a couple that have jumped out at me recently.
Last night my family and I read a passage that is found in Isaiah 14:24:
The LORD of hosts has sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand.
God thinks something and it happens. He plans something and it is achieved. And He is sure that these things will happen just as He has conceived them. Another similar passage can be found in Isaiah 46:10:
(God) announces the end from the beginning and reveals beforehand what has not yet occurred; (He) says, ‘My plan will be realized, I will accomplish what I desire,’ (Net Bible).
We can interpret this passage to mean that God plans things with the end in mind! He envisions what the end outcome will be and does all the needs to be done to reach that end. He never deviates from that plan and always accomplishes His desired goal. Again, I do not mean to bring God down to our level of doing things and our thought processes, but maybe God’s words through Isaiah are meant to help us understand who God is and bring us up to His level!
I truly believe that in trying to emulate this divine example, we can similarly envision our desired outcomes and have faith that we will reach those goals!
The following are a few steps that I have learned from the Silva Method regarding setting and achieving goals or visualizing your desired outcome.
Ready … Set … VISUALIZE !!!
- Plan — Create clear, concrete goals for what you want to achieve. Consider what is important to you, what you need and desire. Set both long term goals and shorter-range goals to help you get there. Think BIG! The only limits to achieving your dreams are those that you put on yourself.
- Visualize yourself having already accomplished your goals. Take time to be alone and meditate on your desired goals. Try to picture yourself, in as great detail as possible, already enjoying the results of achieving your goals — whether it be a new job, a better house, financial freedom, being successful, or improving a relationship — imagine how you will feel, who you will be with, where you will be, etc., when you have achieved your desires. Create the picture in your mind and then see and feel yourself there!
- 3. Work! Don’t expect that just by picturing your success in your mind’s eye that it will just suddenly drop out of the sky and onto your lap! Now you have to start working towards your goal! Even Jesus said that he and his Father work: “”My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working” (John 5:17, NIV). Open your mind to the inspiration that will come to you regarding what you should do to achieve your goals and then do it with no fear.
- Desire – To be successful, your goals must be something that you truly desire. Remember that the distance between success and failure can only be measured by one’s desire. And the more clear you are on what you want, the more power you will have.
- Believe – Your goal needs to be something that you believe is within the realm of the possible. You won’t achieve anything that you believe you cannot. That doesn’t mean that you should limit yourself — it means that you should believe in yourself! You’ve gotta dream big, but then you have to actually believe that you can get there, or that God will help you get there!
- Expect – You have to absolutely expect that you will achieve your desired outcomes. Believe that it will happen and prepare for it to happen. When the village gets together to pray for rain, be the one that brings an umbrella! As the people at the Silva Method put it: “Our subconscious mind cannot distinguish between a real experience and an imagined experience. By frequently visualizing the end result you desire you cause your subconscious to accept it to be real. This causes the mind to draw that situation into your life. Perhaps, no one has summarized this point more clearly than Gandhi when he said: ‘The man I want to become, if I believe myself to be, I will become.’”
Don’t wait for your future to work itself out on its own! It probably won’t work out the way you were hoping it would. Begin now to visualize and create your own future! For more details regarding the process of goal setting and creative visualization, see: http://www.silvalifesystem.com/online/lessons/8-goals?#sthash.44OBTDxX.dpuf